A critical look into skin peeling on fingers, near nails, fingertips, hands, causes and treatments.
Skin Peeling on Fingers
One of the common problems around the fingertips is skin peeling. It can also be so much embarrassment when one does not take care of the coat around the fingertips.
Skin peeling on fingers is a temporary mishap which cures when a new skin is generated. If by any case peeling fingertips causes you harm, there are a couple of ways to treat them mostly at home which is fast and treats.
Skin peeling on fingertips disorder is where a person picks their skin for most of the times and the picking is often or bad enough thus causing tissue damage causing a lot of stress problems with work, social or any other daily activities.
Many people pick their skin from time over and again. It is common for people to pick at pimples, scabs and even at healthy skin. Other health problems like the skin conditions and mental retardation may cause people to pick their skin at most of times.
People are able to pick skin from different parts of their bodies but the most common areas are the face, the head, the arms and the legs. Skin peeling on fingers is not taken as a disorder unless it is a bad enough to be able to cause skin problems in other areas of life. People with this kid of skin problems, pick their skin because of other skin or related problems. After peeling of their fingers, people may feel some
The skin peeling on fingers is a rare genetic skin fragility condition and the main symptom is painless peeling of the skin on fingers mainly on some parts of the body and the signs and symptoms that happen soon after birth but can develop later in life after someone has grown up.
Skin Peeling on Fingers and Hands Causes
The cause of the skin peeling on fingers and hands is due to mostly a defective gene. The defective gene is mostly inheritance of the defective copy of the gene from either or both parents. Parents that have a child with this condition have few chances of the future children developing the condition. People with this condition are very unlikely to pass the conditions to their own children as they will only pass on one copy of the mutated gene.
There are several causes that can lead to the skin peeling on fingers. The infections of the staph, fungal infections and vitamin deficiencies can easily contribute to the skin peeling problem. Peeling of the skin problems is usually considered as temporary problem and heals in a few days, but if the peeling is asa result of the mentioned causes, then you can apply natural treatments to heal the infection.
- Finger sucking; the issue of the skin peeling on fingers is very common to babies or toddlers that suck their fingers for helping in soothing themselves. Thus the skin is more likely to peel off from the top of the finger going half way down the finger or being a part that stays in the childs moist mouth. If the kid stops sucking of the fingers, the issue will disappear but before then, the peeling of the fingers will still occur. Even thereafter, the child still not feel any discomfort.
- Hand eczema; this can be indicated especially if your itchy hand is accompanied by rashes. You can also witness patchy peeling of the hands skin, that is also reddish that is usually caused by trauma and chemical irritants and handling of the paper. It can take several months to recover from tis condition of hand eczema completely. Try to protect the hands from the cleaners and soaps and wear a pair of gloves for the protection in cold weather.
- Keratosis; skin peeling on fingers may be caused by a condition that is known as keratosis which usually affect more than 40% of American people. You will notice severally that your skin has a texture like sandpaper and experience severe itching especially during cold weather. Use of ointment that contains urea or even lactic acid can help in containing this situation. Other remedies that can help include the laser treatment, sun tanning and avoiding of various and specific foods
- Environmental factors; do not expose your body too much to extreme cold and dry weather that can make your skin not to be moisturized thus causing peeling of the fingertips. Experts believe that hands will always indicate the effects of the environment, thus it will be very helpful in washing the hands much in winter months.
- Medical conditions; there are several underlying medical conditions that may cause the skin on the fingers to peel that may include;
- Kawasaki disease that usually affects children under the age of 5 years and can thus cause skin peeling problems+
- Athletes foot, jock itch and other fungal infections can damage your skin and cause severe itching
- Allergic reactions can also affect the skin on the fingers and hands, severe sweating, washing of the dishes without gloves or even washing your hands with harsh chemical or hot water can lead to irritation of the skin thus causing peeling off on the skins fingertips.
- Fungal infections can be a cause of concern that begins with flaky skin surface leading to severe peeling of the skin, a viral or bacterial infection can also irritate the skin and eventually cause the peeling of the skin.
Exfoliative keratolysis is a condition that leads to focal peeling of the palms and less often the soles. This problem is more common during the summer months in about half on the affected people and mostly affects the young adults. It is also common to those people who have sweaty palms.
The initial sign is the one of getting superficial air filled blisters on the fingers of the palms. The blisters burst leaving scales in the peeled areas. The peeled areas always lack a barrier function and may become red, dry and cracked. However, they are not itchy.
Sometimes on finger ends, the split of the skin is deeper in which case the skin feels hard and numb and takes a longer period of time to peel off.
Skin Peeling on Hands and Fingers
The cause of this skin peeling on fingers is unknown. But microscopy reveals that the cleavage that is within the outside of the horny layer separate from each other prematurely. No genetic abnormality ahs ever been detected to date.
The symptoms of skin peeling on fingers is aggravated by the exposure to irritants including water, soap, detergents and solvents. But however, the normal skin forms but the condition may recur within a few weeks.
The condition may be confused with psoriasis in which there is patchy scales.
Skin Peeling on Fingers Treatment
The recommended home remedies for the skin peeling on fingers include;
- Warm water soak
Soak the hands in warm water for a few minutes every day for a week until the peeling fingertips are no more peeling. There are two benefits for this remedy. First, the skin surrounding the fingertips becomes supple and two, the dry skin on the fingertips starts to fall off.
For better results, you can add some honey and lemon juice to the warm water before soaking the hands in water. After you soak, pat the hands dry and put some good quality moisturizer like vitamin E oil. You can still apply and use olive oil to moisturize the hands depending on the moisture level of your skin.
This can also be used in healing and treating of the fingertips. This helps in keeping the skin fresh, moisturized and also smooth.
You are advised to cut fresh cucumber into thick slices. Gently rub the slices on the affected skin so that the juice absorbs well into the skin.
You can still apply a grated cucumber on the affected skin for about 30 minutes and then washing off with warm water. Repeat the process daily until you are very satisfied with the results.
This is a kitchen item that can be used in treating peeling fingertips. This remedy is very effective in removal of dead skin cells from the fingertips and the hands thus making them soft and smooth.
You are advised to mix a handful of powdered oats in a large bowel that is full of warm water. Soak the fingers in it for about 20 minutes and then wash off the hands and fingertips with clean water and pat dry gently by using cotton towel that is soft. Apply a moisturizer that is gentle. For better results, foolow this remedy on a daily basis before going to bed.
- Coconut oil
This oil is an excellent home remedy for different skin problems that includes peeling of the skin. It is able to moisturize the skin on your hands and keeping it soft and supple.
It has chain fatty acids that allows penetration into the skin of the hands. It can be able to deal with drying problems, itching and flaking. It is known also to have antifungal and antibacterial problems that protects against infections.
You can apply this oil generously on the peeling skin on the fingertips several times a day. For better results, leave it overnight and wash it off the following morning.
Milk is known to be a luxurious treatment that can be used in treatment of skin peeling on fingers. You can take milk every day before going to bed that is accompanied with some honey. This enables you to enjoy better and relaxing sleep while also treating the dryness of the skin.
Milk is also known to be a natural moisturizer that can be applied on the skin that has been affected. For this remedy, use the milk with higher fat content. You can mix two table spoons on milk with honey. Apply the mixture that has been formed on the skin and massage gently. This helps the skin in holding the moisture.
Another known option on how to use milk is by soaking the fingers in the warm milk for 20 minutes daily and then wash it off with water that is warm. Follow it up wit a moisturizer or just olive oil.
- Aloe Vera
This is usually a simple remedy that can be used to treat peeling fingertips. Aloe Vera has also a cooling and soothing properties that helps in treating of a dry skin that is also painful and peeling especially of the fingertips. It is also known for locking in the moisture and protecting of the skin from different infections.
Extract the succulent gel from the aloe Vera leaf and apply it on the affected skin for a few times in a day. You can also drink two tablespoons of aloe Vera juice, at least twice daily. Drinking this aloe Vera juice have a laxative effect thus you are advised not to drink in excess. Pregnant women should also not drink or even when they are breastfeeding.
Peeling Hands Treatment
This skin peeling on fingers does not improve with the topical steroids unlike other conditions like hand dermatitis. But the following might be helpful.
- Protection from various irritants
- Emollient hand creams
How to Prevent Skin Peeling
- Cutting of the cuticles; never cut this cuticles as they protect the growth of the nails matrix by keeping off dirt or bacteria. Cutting will eliminate this protection layer thus making your fingertips vulnerable to nail infections. You can instead consider pushing them back instead of cutting the cuticles.
- Moisturizing of the hands; during the day, ensure that you use some moisturizing hand lotion, pick a moisturizing lotion that absorbs quickly in the skin and doesn’t make them feel greasy. Use a thicker cream at night for intense hydration. It is even better to wear wool at night to ensure that the ointment doesn’t rub off on the bed clothes.
- Soak in warm water; by soaking your hands in warm water for about 15 minutes, it helps in dealing with peeling of the finger tips. This ensures that the skin around the fingertips is supple and makes the dry skin to fall off during the process. You may also add some lemon juice and honey to the warm water making it even more effective. Apply vitamin E oil or even some moisturizer after soaking.
- Try oats; you can prevent the occurrence of the peeling of the skin of the hand by use of oats. You need to mix the powdered oats in warm water by preparing this mixture in a large bowl. Soak the fingers in the mixture for about 10 minutes then wash off the hands afterwards by use of clean water and soft cotton towel for drying. Use good quality moisturizer for better results.
- Apply essential oil; olive oil usually works as a moisturizing agent for any dry skin by simply soaking the fingers in warm olive oil producing positive results. Be sure that you need to heat some extra virgin oil in a double boiler before using. You can also consider adding of a few drops of lavender essential oil for even better results. Rinse the hands after the procedure by use of warm water.
- Try a topical antibacterial ointment; for the fingers that are cracked and painful, you better use a topical antibacterial ointment by applying a generous layer of the ointment to the cuticles and covering them. Leave the ointment layer overnight and remove in the morning to have better looking cuticles
- Other treatments for peeling of the skin and fingertips; there are other treatment options available to prevent peeling of the skin of the fingertips by;
- Avoid putting the fingers in the mouth or even avoiding biting of the nails
- Always provide extra protection or moisturizing in the cold weather to avoid drying out of your hands
- Avoid washing of the dishes in a hot soapy water for a long period of time or you can alternatively wear rubber gloves for protection
- A little rubbing on the cuticles is allowed and can provide some relief until you get yourself a hand cream
- Try also a hot wax treatment to make the nails and hands look better.