How to get water out of your ear? Get more insights on how to get water out of your ear that won’t come out after swimming, taking shower, quickly, fast using home remedies such as alcohol, hydrogen peroxide or alcohol.
Almost everyone experience water in ear after swimming, taking bath, shower or while walking in the rain. Wax in the ear helps in preventing fluids from getting into inner ear and water can enter and leave without much problem.
There are times when fluids such as water can get trapped inside the ear hence causing discomfort, pain and hearing problems. If left unremoved, fluid in ear can lead to complications such as loss of hearing, ear infections, ringing in the ear, formation of cyst and inflammation of the eardrum.
Water in Ear Causes and Symptoms of Swimmer’s Ear
Swimmer’s ear is a condition that causes one to feel like water in the ear. Mainly occur when water, sand and small debris accumulate into the ear canal hence causing inflammation and infection. It is medically described as otitis externa.
Swimmer’s ear can also be caused by bacteria, such as, streptococcus, pseudomona or staphylococcus. It also affect people with allergy related skin conditions such as psoriasis, asthma, and eczema. Use of hearing aids and excessive cleaning of the ears can also cause this problem.
Otitis externa is characterized by symptoms such as pain in the ears that intensify when chewing food or when you touch. Itching and formation of a yellow discharge, swelling of the ear canal and outer ear are among the symptoms and signs of swimmer’s ear.
How to Get Water Out of Your Ear Quickly, after Swimming
Here are ways to get rid of fluids in ear fast at home
Letting gravity to act is the best way to drive fluid out of your ears. Here is how to do it:
- Tilt your head sideways and bend the affected ear down to your shoulder or parallel to the ground and gently hit the opposite side with your palm. This may drive out water fast.
- While tilting your head parallel to the ground, place your palm flat against the affected ear and press for few second. Partial vacuum will be created in the ear. Quickly remove the palm for water to get out.
- Take a cotton ear bud and gently help in removing the water draining out of the ear. This should be done carefully to prevent the bud from getting deep into the middle ear.
You can quickly get fluid out of ear by use of a hair blow drier. The device drives a dry warm air that helps in changing trapped water to steam that easily dissipate out of the ear. Here is how to use:
- Adjust the blow drier to warm and low air flow and hold it about 15 inches away from the ear.
- Hold and pull the ear lobe of the affected side away from your body to create space for the air.
- Turn the device on and let the air blow directly into the ear canal for 30 seconds and all the water will be driven out in form of moisture.
You can easily solve the question on how to get water out of your ear using heat therapy. This method helps in opening of the Eustachian tube hence allowing the trapped fluid to escape quickly.
- Place a washcloth or piece of towel in hot water and wring out the excess water.
- Place it against the affected ear for not more than 40 seconds as immediately lie down for the fluid to drain out fast.
- Repeat after one minute and four to five times must give you a relief.
There are many benefits derived from the application of hydrogen peroxide in ear which include the following:
- Excessive ear wax removal: Accumulation of wax in the ear is normal although it can lead to various problems such as impacted ear wax, temporal deafness and ear infection. Hydrogen peroxide can be used to soften such wax making it easily removed.
- Treatment of ear infection: Application of hydrogen peroxide in ear can help in killing of disease causing microorganisms such as bacteria.
- Pain Killer: This chemical element is good for relieving of pain caused by cuts and scrapping in the ear.
- Healing body piercing: Ear, nose, lip and navel piercing can be treated with hydrogen peroxide which fasten the healing process. It prevent bacterial infections at the pierced body part.
- Removal of trapped fluids and light objects.
Here is how to use:
- Tilt your head to make the affected ear exposed upwards.
- Spread the towel on the neck and shoulders to absorb spilled solution.
- Apply 3 drops of hydrogen peroxide in ear.
- Turn your head to make the affected ear to face down the sink to allow the trapped fluid to drain out.
- Dry the outside of your ear using a towel.
Alcohol and Vinegar
Rubbing alcohol and vinegar is the best home remedy for getting rid of fluids in the ear. Vinegar has antibacterial properties that helps in the killing of germs and disease causing microbes in the ear. Rubbing alcohol is suitable for drying up of trapped fluids.
- Mix together one teaspoon each of rubbing alcohol and vinegar.
- Using a dropper, put two to three drops of this solution into the affected ear.
- Rub the opening of the ear canal gently.
- Wait for 30 seconds.
- Tilt your head so that the fluid can easily drain out.
This technique helps in popping ears to open the Eustachian tubes. Trapped water in the ear will therefore drain out of the ear easily.
- Pinch your nostrils to close using your fingers and close your mouth.
- Blow air out of the nose gently to help popping up Eustachian tubes.
- Do not blow too hard since it can cause damage to your eardrum.
Inhalation of steam helps in the opening up of clogged Eustachian tubes hence allowing trapped water to drain out.
- Pour hot steaming water in a large bowl.
- Cover your head with a towel and inhale the steam slowly for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Tilt your head to one side.
- Fluid will start coming out of the ear.
If you are planning on how to get water out of your ear naturally consider using garlic. It is a natural ingredient that has antibacterial properties hence prevention of ear infections in adults and children. Garlic can also dislodge fluid and particles from the ear.
- Extract a juice from garlic cloves by pressing.
- Place three drops of the juice in the affected ear.
- After few minutes, bed your head for the affected ear to face down and let the fluids drain.
- Alternatively dry your ears using a blow drier after placing drops of garlic juice.
Olive oil is suitable for getting rid of trapped fluids from the ear. Its antiseptic properties also makes it perfect for prevention of infections. Here is how to use:
- Slightly warm little amount of olive oil in a bowl.
- Using a dropper, place a few drops of warm olive oil in the ear.
- Allow it to settle for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Turn your head sideways and remove the oil as well as the fluid with a soft ear bud.
Chewing and Yawning
Chewing of gum can help in the removal of water stuck in the tubes of your ears. It helps in flexing the tubes and creating little pressure that dislodges the fluids trapped in your ears. Yawning on the other hand helps in popping the water bubble in the ear hence making it to drain out.
Over the Counter Eardrop
You can remove water from your ears by use of over the counter eardrop. They contain ingredients such as alcohol that enables the trapped fluids to evaporate fast. Follow the doctor’s prescription to use.
Prevention of Water in Ear
You can prevent getting infections from water in ears by using the following tips.
- Avoid swimming in contaminated pools.
- Wear a swimming cap to prevent water getting into the ears.
- Wear ear plugs.
- Dry the ears thoroughly once out of the water.
- Avoid excessive cleaning of ears with cotton buds as this takes away the protective layer of ear wax.
- If suffering from skin conditions, such as, eczema in the ears, get them treated medically.
Water in ear causes discomfort, pain and infections, take proper care of your ears. If you have tried the above ways on how to get water out of your ear, and symptoms persist, visit your doctor to examine your ears and medically treat them.